Helping a loved one who can’t manage on their own.

Sometimes a person we care about becomes mentally incapacitated and they are no longer able to make financial decisions or look after themselves. When there is no Power of Attorney in place to designate a trusted representative to take over these duties for them, their quality of life can go quickly downhill: bills may go unpaid, their health care needs may not be met, and they may put themselves in unsafe situations.

In cases like these, it may be necessary for a family member or close friend to make an application to the B.C. Supreme Court to become their legal guardian. Or, in legal terms, to be appointed as the “Committee” of the finances and/or personal affairs of the incapacitated person.

It’s a detailed process at a difficult time, but we have processed many successful Committee applications for our clients. The application requires letters from two doctors that confirm the person’s incapacity, along with relevant financial details and a basic plan for the proper care of the person.

Where do I start?

If you need advice on your options for looking after an incapacitated family member or friend, please contact our office to arrange an appointment with Jacqueline Sowa. We have the experience to recommend and provide the appropriate legal solution, and the compassion to ensure that it is the right solution for both you and the person you care about.